So, I set out to remedy this, if just a little, with my Christmas gifts this year- a rectangular oven mitt and potholder with a pocket. (After polling a few people, it turns out that the pocket is super important. Who knew?)
I found the tutorial for the oven mitt here. I love the versatility of this mitt, which could easily double as a trivet or handle cover for a hot pot. It's simple to make and comes together quickly.
I altered the directions of the tutorial just a bit. I sewed together the three sides (two long and one short) of the exterior fabric + batting. Then I sewed together the three sides of the lining fabrics. I turned the exterior fabric right side out and the interior lining wrong side out. Next I stuffed the lining inside the exterior fabric and battling, wrong sides together. I pushed the lining up until the corners met the corners of the exterior fabric. I trimmed off the excess lining fabric, and basted around the entire open edge. I finished it with bias binding.
For the potholders, I combined these two tutorials. I'd highly recommended basting around the edges of the potholder and pocket before quilting them. This results in less shifting of the fabric.
Now if only I had a neon sign...