So excited, in fact, that I decided to do Vintage May times three!
I chose this 1960's vintage pattern.
And I liked it so much I decided to replicate it.
Vintage patterns, as far as I know, come in individual sizes only. The pattern I found came in Indigo's size.
Indigo's 'dress' is actually three separate pieces: a sleeveless top, skirt and a sash.
While I really like it worn together, I think the shirt and skirt will both be functional items worn separately, too.
I used red buttons to add some excitement to the neutral grey. So exciting, right? ;)
Even though the skirt has an elastic waistband, it buttons at the side. A nice detail, I think.
I decided, after I had sewn the skirt and the pockets, that I wanted to add some piping to the pockets. I'm not sure why I think of these things after the sewing is done, but the seam ripping was, in my opinion, worth it.
Next I wanted to replicate the jumpsuit for Tia, except I wanted to make a romper.
I searched high and low for a romper pattern. I scoured the interwebs. I looked through all of the pattern books at both Hobby Lobby and Joanns. I didn't find one I liked, but I did find this gem of a pattern.
I went with this pattern, but changed every single piece. I'd call this almost self-drafted. I was working with this Tea collection romper in mind, trying to replicate it as closely as I could.
I re-made the straps three times before I was happy with them.
After experimenting, I learned that flat piping works beautifully on straps. It was much easier to turn the straps right side out with flat piping compared to regular piping - and less bulky looking, too. I wanted it to match the regular piping so I removed the cording and ironed it flat.
Tia was so patient with me as I tried this on her over and over again to get the fit just right. "Did you check for pins, Mom?" If you accidentally leave a pin in even once, you will forevermore be asked this question. Which is good. Because who wants to try on something with a rogue pin hidden in it?
I'm thankful I've earned her trust back. :)
I finished it with two buttons in the back, like this dress.
And Tia's romper was finished. Great for playing - or for lounging around.
Finally, I set out to re-create the vintage Simplicity pattern shorts and shirt for Iris.
The top is an Ottobre t-shirt pattern, with gathering at the shoulders and cuffs. For Iris' shorts, I used the Kids Shorts pattern by Dana. I picked the flat front option.
Let me say that I am now firmly in the camp of: Do not use cheap knits!. The shirt is a Lillestoff knit, which I bought here. A big thank you to those of you who recommended this brand to me. There is a night and day difference between cheap knits and quality made knits. I am so disappointed in how my cheap knits are holding up. Even this dress looks faded and pilled already. It's definitely disheartening.
Iris is addicted to inking herself - with pen, of course (see leg above). I like to think she gets it from her dad. He's actually getting another (almost) half sleeve this week.
And that concludes our Vintage May!