One of the patterns was McCall's M6497.
It's funky, kind of Matilda Jane-ish which is especially darling on preschool-aged girls, if you ask me.
This pattern is drafted as a top, not a dress. Evie loves to wear dresses. So I added three inches to the length of the skirt to make it a dress. I wish it were a little longer, in fact, I'll likely make a pair of matching shorts for her to wear underneath as she grows. But for now, this works.
I made the skirt and ruffle less full than the pattern pieces instructed. I took about 10 inches off of the width of the skirt (per piece). I cut two ruffle pieces selvage to selvage, rather than four. There was still plenty of gathering to be done, in fact, it took me almost an hour to gather it all!
It took me another hour to turn the 80 inch belt right side out. If I were to make this dress again I would press the edges in by 1/2" and then fold lengthwise and press, matching the edges that had been turned under. Then I would edgestitch the belt rather than stitching it right sides together and turning the whole thing and then edge stitching it. Live and learn.
I chose fabrics from Lotta Jansdotter's Glimma collection. Like the fabric I used on this dress, the flower columns on this print run perpendicular to the selvage edge. Just something to be aware of...
I've been trying to be more cognizant of the way I place the pattern onto the fabric before I cut it. I want to be better about matching patterns or stripes. But this, this I did not plan.
That was serendipitous - and completely delighted me!
All in all, I felt this was a great pattern and a really fun, sweet dress. Evie loved it, too, and that's what matters most! :)
I had planned to make a dress for Indigo this week, but I made a mistake while cutting out the pattern and had to order more fabric. I have yet to receive it (unless it's in my mailbox as I type this). So that may have to wait until next week.