A couple of weeks ago, I fell in love with the scrappy chevron in this post. Ironically, it was entitled 'Copied or Inspired?'. In this case, a little of both!
I've been looking for a simple A-line pattern for a year or so now and finally found this awesome one. It was perfect. I sewed it up in linen. Linen is such a beautiful, clean slate for applique.
After the dress was sewn, it was time to add the scrappy border. I couldn't get it to look right but thankfully my husband jumped in to save the day! Truthfully, this tutorial is brought to you by him!
First, I cut a bunch of 2 1/2" x 1/2" scraps in a variety of colors. Next I grouped them into sets of four. Then I used this interfacing. The awesome part about it is it's sticky, so it allows you to place fabrics onto it and they'll stick without it being ironed. Ingenious!
fabrics, placed but not ironed
I then cut out each of sets.
When your pieces are all cut, you'll need to cut away all of the excess interfacing, so you don't gunk up your iron when you iron it in place.
I marked the center of the dress, and placed the bottom of the center peak 2 1/2" from the bottom center of the dress. I then worked my way out to the side seams, making sure each of bottom 'peaks' measured 2 1/2" from the bottom and the 'valleys' 1 1/2 inches from the bottom. I then peeled off the back of the interfacing and ironed in place. When I got near the side seams, I ironed the scrappy 'set' up to the seam, and then cut the rest away with a scissors.
Time to machine sew it in place! I did one line of stitching down the center of each of the scraps, going row by row and stopping with my needle down to pivot in the next direction when I got to a peak or valley.
And there you have it - a scrappy chevron border.