Having sewn regularly over the past five years, I usually have a pretty good idea of how a pattern will look on my kids before I make it. There aren't a lot of surprises anymore.
"Mom, is this a nightgown?" Indigo asked. I looked at Dan. "It's kind of... shapeless. I'm not sure this one's salvageable." he said.
Hmm. That almost sounded like a challenge. ;) It was back to the drawing board... or cutting mat, as it were.
I cut off the a-line flare that I had added to the skirt. Instead, I extended the shirt straight down by 8 or so inches, making it a dress. I hadn't initially planned to keep the curved hem, but I changed my mind and added it back in. I've been drawn to asymmetrical hems lately, but didn't think one would work on this corduroy dress. The curved hem, while not asymmetrical, adds interest. I like that detail.
I added 1/4" elastic to the cuffs. Then, using a zigzag stitch, I sewed a 6 inch strip of 1/2" elastic to the back waist (like this) to cinch the dress and give it more form.
I used these buttons (from here).
I was this close to using similar buttons but in mustard but Indigo preferred this color and I've been using mustard a lot lately. I don't want to get burnt out on it - like listening to a good song too many times.
Then, as per the usual, I threw in a pair of Sunki leggings and called it a day!
It's exactly the look I was going for, even if it did take some fiddling to get there.