I don't know if I'm rusty from sewing less while I was in my first trimester. Or, to spin it more positively, if it's because I've been taking more 'risks' in the projects I'm choosing. Or a little of both. Whatever the reason, they've been frustrating, I've spent way too much time seam ripping, and thank goodness for podcasts, which are always my sanity saver when my projects go awry.
When I made the Geranium dress for Mailbox Surprise, I didn't think to add the piping to the sleeves until after I had sewn the bodice and was getting ready to add the piping to the bottom of it, like I did here. This time I felt the dress was missing something, so I talked to Dan about adding the piping to the sleeves. I knew doing so would mean taking the whole bodice apart, so I was kind of hoping he would say I should leave it as is. But I know he's always honest with me, even when it means more work. And he agreed that the piping would be a nice touch. So, ripping the stitching was inevitable, but what was particularly sweary was that I had already trimmed all of my seams. It was tricky to add the piping to the trimmed, curved seam . What I ultimately discovered was that it's helpful to trim the piping seam allowance to match the seam allowance of the sleeve, so they are flush with one another. It makes adding piping so much easier.
It was definitely a lot of work to take the dress apart, but in my opinion, it was worth it.
On this project, I had planned to add cuffed sleeves to the Hanami dress. I was working off of this pin, so it didn't feel like much of a gamble. I love the Oliver + S puppet show sleeve, so I adapted it and was eager to see my puff-sleeved Hanami. I pinned the sleeves in place first to be sure I liked them. (Dan even approved!) I sewed the sleeves on last, so the entire dress was finished when I added them.
When I tried it on Indigo, the sleeves just so did not work. The best way I can describe them is as 80s churchy with a touch of 80s prom sleeve. It was awful. So, the sleeves had to go. I knew that meant taking the bodice off of the skirt. I didn't know it would also entail taking apart almost the entire bodice, including putting in a new zipper.
Thankfully, I'm happy with the sleeveless version, which also pairs nicely with a cardigan, though with our crazy weather lately, on this particular day she didn't need one.
In other two-steps-forward-one-step-back predicaments, we moved back into our house today after spending almost three weeks in a townhouse so the floors in our house could be replaced. Wow, is pulling up floors ever a mess! Our house was in complete disrepair with most of our belongings covered in a fine layer of dust. The carpenters draped well, but the dust still found its way onto everything. It's sneaky stuff, that dust. But we have things a l m o s t buttoned up and we're all so thankful to be back home. And the new floors look great!