All of the instructions are still fresh in my mind, which means it comes together in lightening speed.
And switching it up at least a little keeps it from getting boring.
This is (again) the Skater Dress by Kitschy Coo. For this dress, I altered the sleeves just a bit using my uber-scientific method - eyeballing it. I sewed the dress with elbow length sleeves first, tried it on Indigo, and adjusted the sleeve length until it looked right. Then I skipped the cuff and just hemmed it. So easy.
I did find that the sleeve without the cuff was a little wide for Indigo's tiny arms, so I took them in by another 1/2" per sleeve. I also took the bodice in by about 1/4-3/8" on each side. The fit on the bodice was wider this time compared to last. (Maybe there was a difference in the stretch of the knit?)
Regarding that stretch, I needed to re-cut the neckband to make it about an inch longer than the pattern piece neckband. This fabric just didn't stretch with the same ease as the last neckband did. I could see after sewing only an inch or two with a basting stitch that it was starting to gather the bodice fabric. Also, I had to tightly pull the neckband to make it work - and I mean t i g h t l y. When the neckband gathers the fabric, I've read it means you need to cut the neckband a bit longer and try again. That was easy enough and it came together quickly and nicely after that. I might even enjoy sewing neckbands now!
For Tarikua's dress, I used another animal print fabric from Girl Charlee. It was (again) lightweight but that works just fine for this dress. When ordering from this shop, I've personally had the best luck with 100% cottons or cotton/spandex blends and not so much with poly or rayon blends. I've had more pilling with those. Maybe it's just a personal preference.
I altered this pattern by cutting the bodice shorter - just above Tia's natural waist. I also made the skirt by cutting two rectangles that were 1 1/2 times the width of the bodice (kind of like the instructions here) and then gathering them to fit the bodice.
I also altered the sleeves and cuffs like I did here.
There is something so exhilarating about making these dresses. I'm pretty sure I made the last one in an hour or so. Truly, they are so fast to make! It's pretty liberating to think about how quickly you could pull together a basic playtime wardrobe (knit dresses + leggings).
These dresses are also low maintenance. Both sat on my sewing table for over a week in a bit of a crumbled heap and yet were ready to wear without being touched by an iron. That's one of the great advantages of knits.
Another thing I like about this pattern is that it's so easy to customize (as I did with all three of these dresses). I think you could easily turn the dress into a t-shirt by simply lengthening the bodice a few inches. I'd like to play around with that sometime.
Oh, and Indigo's leggings are the Sunki pattern which I love so much for older girls. I do like to add several inches of length to the pattern. The fit is so perfect. And of course, I had to make a pair for Tia, too (not pictured). There I go again, sewing in pairs!