Then I saw this version with the heart applique and elbow patches and knew I had to make one like that, too.
So I decided to put the two ideas together and this is what I came up with.
I made this top using a Kaufman herringbone knit from the Gnats Shop. After I washed it (before sewing with it), it somehow ended up in the dryer with a load of towels and was dried on medium high or even high heat. It shrunk up a lot. Maybe by at least a third. I'm not sure if it would have shrunk that much on a lower heat setting or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
This knit was a little tricky to work with. It would pucker quite easily and I would have to ever so carefully unpick it as to not create a hole (and I did create one small hole, which thankfully was repairable). Still, I really, really love this print. The grey herringbone is perfect. I love the texture that it gives to the gray and it is truly one of my favorite knits yet. It was definitely worth the extra effort.
I used the heart applique from the pattern (this pattern has so many options!). This time, I decided to use a knit for the applique, since they don't fray. This was an Alabama Chanin knit. They have such an awesome selection of colors, though they are 100% cotton so they don't have great recovery.
I always apply appliques (as well as the elbow and knee patches) using double sided interfacing. That stuff is magic. You do have to be careful to get the placement just right, because it's very hard to unpeel once it's ironed on (I'm speaking from experience on that one). But it keeps the applique so flat and smooth and you don't need to use pins.
Another one of my favorite sewing products is Wonder Tape. Have you guys used it? Once you do, there is no going back! I used it on this top to stabilize the shoulder seams. This will prevent your machine from eating your knits and will give you a beautiful seam, too. I also used it to secure the ruffle before sewing it on to the hemline.
Wonder Tape is also great for placing zippers, turning the hems on pockets and placing pockets. When I can't find my Wonder Tape, I start to panic. ;) But seriously, it is good stuff.
Because this herringbone knit didn't have the best recovery and because I did not have the right color ribbing to match this grey, I decided to finish the top with the bound neckline method (one of the two pattern options for the neckline).
Megan's method was different than the method I'm used to using, but it turned out perfectly. I was so pleased and impressed with her instructions and with this way of creating a bound neckband.
This weekend, I discovered Wonder Clips for holding my binding in place and I really can't recommend them enough! I had read about them before, and I'm not sure why I waited so long to buy them, but they are truly incredible. I'm definitely not going back to pinning knit necklines in place. (Also I got all of these products at Jo-Ann's, always using their mobile coupons. I'm not affiliated with Jo-Ann's in any way, I just like these products.)
I made these leggings for Iris from the Oliver + S Playtime pattern. I happened to have the pattern already cut and on my sewing table from the last time I had made them. I really like the fit of this legging pattern as well as the Mini Virginia legging pattern. (My kids loooove the knee patches and wear those leggings all of the time!).
I cut them based on Iris' measurements - a size 3 in width and a size 4 in length. I added an inch to the length, just to be safe. It turned out they were just the right length without being hemmed. So I left the hem raw, which works with this knit. Next time I would definitely add more length.
The rock Iris has been playing with in some of these photos is her 'pet turtle' whom she has name Rain. She says his head goes in here:
but it's tucked inside his shell right now. (Obviously.) ;)
Four year olds are pretty great! Especially this one, though I am admittedly biased. :)