Three weeks ago, I found this gem of a (free) pattern. I clicked on the instructions, but they weren't in English. Never fear! With the help of Google Translate, I was off, embarking on my own little sewing adventure.
While Google Translate is way better than nothing, it only pointed me in the right direction rather than making the instructions crystal clear. There's a reason we have the expression "lost in translation".
Thankfully, it came together a lot like the Oliver + S School Photo dress. It's lined with an invisible zipper closure. I basically followed that pattern to assemble this dress.
I used Valori Wells, Cocoon, Shine Bamboo which I was planning to use for the backing of this quilt that I never finished.
The peter pan collar is in Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton - Royal. I lined it with Michael Miller Cotton Couture which was perfect as a lining - so silky and airy, light and soft. I loved it. I added some navy ric rac to the hem.
I used a navy invisible zipper for the back closure.
There were a few firsts with this dress. It was the first time I've added my own seam allowances to a pattern. It was also my first time using a pattern not in English. I did need to use another pattern to fill in the gaps, but it came together in the end. There was some confusion and frustration in trying to finish the armholes. Indigo tsked me saying, "See, Mom, this is what happens when you don't use a pattern." It's true. But once in awhile it feels good to step outside of the ol' comfort zone. I'm glad I did.